About the Scholarship
The Ann Arbor Center for Independent Living (Ann Arbor CIL) awards the annual John Weir Academic Scholarship to outstanding students with disabilities. One-time scholarships range from $200-$500.
Eligible students for the John Weir Scholarship must:
- Be a high school senior graduating with the class of 2017;
- Have a significant disability of any kind – for example, physical, visual, developmental, cognitive, hearing, learning, emotional, or other;
- Live in Washtenaw, Livingston, or Monroe County, Michigan;
- Plan to attend a 2– or 4-year college, university or a trade school; and
- Submit completed application materials by Monday April 17, 2017.
- Complete the Online Application Form (Link here and at the bottom of the page), including essays OR download the Paper Application Form and mail your application and essays to the Ann Arbor CIL.
- Provide one letter of recommendation from a teacher or a school counselor. Mail it to: Ann Arbor CIL, John Weir Scholarship, Attn: Anna Dusbiber Gossage, 3941 Research Park Dr, Ann Arbor, MI 48108
- Submit all application materials by Monday April 17, 2017. Materials must be post-marked no later than April 17, 2017 to be considered.
Honoring John Weir
When my brother, John Weir, acquired his spinal cord injury (SCI) in 1964, the atmosphere was different for people with disabilities than it is today. The medical field kept people alive with SCIs, but society offered little in terms of satisfying futures. John was a pioneer in many ways. His ability to inspire practical help instead of pity was one of his gifts. While in the hospital after his surgery, he graduated from Ann Arbor’s Pioneer High School. Later, he became the first severely disabled person to go to Eastern Michigan University. In 1976, he helped found the Ann Arbor Center for Independent Living (CIL). At the time, CILs were a new idea designed to provide resources to people who were disabled and to assist in ways that facilitated a more active life. John remained an active pioneer until his death in 1985. ~ Lou Weir
The John Weir Selection Committee reviews each application received and interviews the top candidates. Candidates must engage in an activity or activities with the Ann Arbor or Monroe CIL prior to May 15, 2017 to be considered eligible. Scholarships will be awarded in the summer of 2017 in Ann Arbor. Winners are expected to attend the award ceremony, which will take place at the end of July.
Please contact Anna Dusbiber Gossage, Ann Arbor CIL Youth Services Manager, at
(734) 971-0277 x 17 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Online Application Submission
Follow this link and fill in all required information.
Each essay question must be in paragraph format with a word count of 300 words or less.
Letters of recommendations must be mailed to the Ann Arbor CIL (3941 Research Park Dr. Ann Arbor, MI 48108) by April 17, 2017. (Postmarked no later than April 17, 2017)